Supporting the cause, Help make a difference…
... of history and into today's headlines but none of us can deny that our grand experiment in democracy transformed a fledgling idea into a beacon of light that illuminated the entire globe!
There's a lot to be proud of but where are we now? Even more important,… who are we now? Americans must always remember that our nation is merely a reflection of the individuals that comprise it. Many of us are concerned and, (based on some of the sobering statistics that follow), we have every right to be:
- 44 million adults in the U.S. can't read well enough to read a simple story to a child.
- Approximately 50 percent of the nation’s unemployed youth age 16-21 are functionally illiterate, with virtually no prospects of obtaining good jobs.
- More than 20 percent of adults read at or below a fifth-grade level, (far below the level needed to earn a living wage).
- Over ONE MILLION children drop out of school each year, costing the nation over $240 BILLION in lost earnings, foregone tax revenues and expenditures for social services.
- Nearly HALF of America's adults are poor readers, or "functionally illiterate". They can’t carry out simple tasks like balancing check books, reading drug labels or writing essays for a job.
- To participate fully in society and the workplace in 2020 citizens will need powerful literacy abilities that, until now have been achieved only by a small percentage of the population.
We could go on but most understand our concerns. We're facing an epidemic that is sapping the light and energy from our future and causing the, "beacon of light" metaphor that was used for so long to describe our great nation to grow dimmer and dimmer. Could America’s best days be behind her? Could our nation descend from a great society into a global afterthought in the span of one or two generations?
We CANNOT let that happen! We must fight to protect our future and we must commit ourselves to a grander vision that distinguishes America as the most educated and enlightened people on the globe! Abolishing Children's Illiteracy is central to our mission at Monkeyreader.com and we cannot think of a more urgent and worthwhile cause. With your help we will take positive steps forward to achieving this goal! Thank you for choosing our site and thank you for supporting our mission!